So, apparently there’s a thing going on in the blogosphere where people are doing daily blogs to express the things they’re thankful for during the month of November. Since I didn’t find out about this until halfway through the month, I’m borrowing an idea from Butch Wonders and just making one big list to post on the big Day of Thanks.
1. The biggest thing I am thankful for is my fiancée. I am thankful that she messaged me on that ridiculous dating website that we were both members of. I am thankful that, when I told her I was on disability for my bipolar disorder and without a driver’s license, she didn’t run away screaming. I am thankful that she makes me smile. I am thankful that she puts up with my father’s racist humor. I am thankful that she wants to take care of me. I am thankful that she loves me unconditionally. I am thankful that she makes me want to get out of bed in the morning. I am thankful that she knows when to push me and when to be patient with me. I am thankful that she said “yes” when I asked her to marry me. I am thankful for the person she is and the person she is becoming, and I am thankful for the life that we will share together.
2. I am thankful for my parents, who aided me financially in the period between when I quit my job and when I started to receive disability.
3. I am thankful that I live in a first world country where I can make conscious decisions about what I eat.
4. I am thankful that I have a home.
5. I am thankful that there is going to be a third Wayne’s World (come on, you didn’t think this whole thing would be serious, did you?).
6. I am thankful for the family cottages, which have been in the family for seven generations and remains my favorite place in the whole world.
7. I am thankful that President Obama was re-elected. This means that when I get married, chances are it will be federally recognized. Hopefully it also means that equal protections in housing and employment get passed nationwide, and include the transgender population.
8. I am thankful for my friends, who are always there for me.
9. I am thankful for the ocean, because I love the way it smells and the way it feels on my skin.
10. I am thankful for Facebook, and online communication in general, because it allows me to keep in contact with friends and family who are all over the country, and all over the world.
11. I am thankful for BARCC, which was my lifeline last December and January.
12. I am thankful for Netflix. Weird thing to be thankful for, but watching documentaries on Netflix is one of my favorite coping skills to distract me from an off or depressed mood.
13. I am thankful for my creative abilities that allow me to express myself.
14. I am thankful that I live in the era that I do. Being gay and being a woman now, in this country, is much safer than it has been in the past, although we still have work to do.
15. I am thankful toward everyone who helped me during last December.
16. I am thankful for lotions that smell like food. They make me feel better when I’m down.
17. I am thankful for the things I have, most of which I don’t really need, but are nice to have anyway.
18. I am thankful for my ability to read. Reading stuff is awesome.
19. I am thankful for the experiences in my life, both good and bad, that have shaped the person I am today.
20. I am thankful for the religious and queer communities that I am involved in, which give me a social outlet.
21. I am thankful for the ability to laugh, especially the ability to laugh at inappropriate things.
22. I am thankful for vegan chocolate. Yum!
23. I am thankful for my skills as a cook (which unfortunately, do not extend toward bread making. Goddamn bread…)
24. I am thankful toward people who drive me places.
25. I am thankful for my bed and my bedding. It’s so nice to have a comfortable place that reflects my tastes to retire in every evening.
26. I am thankful for my active imagination. I don’t know how I’d get along without it.
27. I am thankful for my (relative) good health. While I do have a chronic mental health condition, it’s something that’s easily managed and everything else is fine.
28. I am thankful for a steady income, albeit a small one.
29. I am thankful toward everyone who I worked with to get gay marriage legalized in Maine. Maine is my favorite state, and while I don’t think I’ll ever be able to live there again, it’s nice to know that they would recognize my upcoming marriage if I did.
30. I am thankful for glasses. Because damn. I can’t see very well.
Happy Thanksgiving y’all!